Several problems getting started

Apr 29, 2009 at 12:24 AM

I've had a few problems.

1.  I didn't have any of the Microsoft.Data.ConnectionUI.dll files.  I did install the Visual Studio SDK, but the dialog dll wasn't there.  Since thins only caused a problem in the setup, etc, I moved on.

2.  In step2.aspx, I die in the BindData() method.  The complaint is "Cannot open database "Dictionary" requested by the login. The login failed.".

3.  Is this built for VS2005 or VS2008, I'm using 2008.

Please help, because I would really like to evaluate this project for use.

Thanks.

Coordinator
May 7, 2009 at 5:14 PM
Edited May 7, 2009 at 5:16 PM
1. Microsoft.Data.ConnectionUI.dll is used to create a connectionString entry in the web.config. To do this manually, add a line similar to this to <connectionStrings> in web.config:
<add name="AdHocReports.Properties.Settings.UserDataSource2" connectionString="Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=.\sqlexpress;Integrated Security=SSPI;Initial Catalog=master" providerName="System.Data.OleDb" />
Just replace the required components of the connection string, and you should be good.

2. It's possible the login information of the connection string is invalid. Take a look at http://connectionstrings.com/, and pay particular attention to OLE DB connection types.

3. As for the project type, it was built on VS 2008.

Let me know if there's anything else you need.